The success of the UNKSOC.ORG Platform depends its ability to evolve. This evolution contemplates several facets:
- Content expansion corresponding to extending the UNKSOC.ORG Platform coverage of aspects relevant to knowledge societies policy-making; an example of new content to be covered by the UNKSOC.ORG Platform is courseware – documentation to support education and training addressing the Knowledge Societies Policy Handbook and other aspects relevant to the knowledge societies policy-making.
- Translation of content in order to make the Knowledge Societies Policy Handbook more easily accessible in countries where English isn’t the official language; it is expected that translations are led by community members from such countries.
- Update of the UNKSOC.ORG Handbook and Platform content in order to accompany the advancements in theory and practices relevant to Knowledge Societies policy-making.
- Adjustments to the ways the UNKSOC.ORG Platform can be used in order to address the evolving needs of its users and to update forms of providing support to the community it serves.
During the aforementioned EGM, several recommendations were collected that address the evolution of the UNKSOC.ORG Platform (Estevez & Janowski, 2016).
Some of the recommendations suggest new functionalities, e.g. the Platform could offer:
- A self-diagnosis tool, a kind of engaged independent mechanisms for members to assess their level of Knowledge Societies development (42).
- Offer of education and training opportunities and documentation (43).
- Use of rankings to facilitate tracking the progress and to stimulate improvements (47).
- Develop the Indicators section of the Library in order to provide wide coverage of needs related to measurement through means such as: access to established measurement frameworks, including frameworks that enable bench-learning; set up partnerships with institutions and agencies that make measurements of diverse facets of society relevant to the knowledge societies area (e.g., ITU, OECD, UNESCO, UN Economic Commissions, etc.) (18, 19, 20, 21).
Other recommendations call the attention to need to take into consideration what can be learnt from several already existing portals and platforms:
- Learn from the experience of existing platforms, build on their existence and create synergies with them (39).
- Avoid defining new services based on new requests for data to governments (44).
Part of the evolution of the UNKSOC.ORG Platform can occur by the action of the members of the community, through the regular upload of new content. However, more elaborated forms of evolution might demand the establishment of special mechanisms both for the evaluation of the Platform’s success and adequacy and to gather the necessary competences for carrying out major developments in the UNKSOC.ORG Platform.